Friday, December 23, 2011

On the technicalities of blogging....

I have been thinking about things recently, puzzling over a few small changes I'm thinking of making to the blog. I thought I should let y'all chime in, after all, you are the reason I'm blogging.

So, you might have noticed that there are a lot more posts with items given to me recently. Firstly, please understand that my review is entirely honest. I'll tell you if I hate the product, I'm not going to compromise my integrity and the integrity of this blog just for the sake of free stuff.

Now, you also may have noticed (thought I wouldn't blame you if you didn't) that I never post about upcoming launches. I don't like that usually when other blogs do it as the colors are SO different from the promos generally. Here's question one: Would you like it if I posted the launch info I get emailed to me from various companies?

Question two is also about advertising, more specifically if I should put up paid ads on the blog. I'm trying to save up some cash for travel (hence the no-buy) and monetizing the blog would help. But I don't want to degrade Painted Tips with those icky ads Google puts up. I'm thinking about selling some ad space independently, but I'm not even sure how to go about that or if I really want to. Would you mind if there were ads on this blog? If you blog, do you have ads? Why or why not?

It'd be AWESOME if you'd answer a few of these questions for me. And it might possibly help you out in the next giveaway (but don't hold me to that. There won't be one, likely, until I hit 500 followers, and even then, I AM trying to save some money! But, any giveaway I have will have little extras for my long-suffering readers like yourself).

Edit: I put ads up. If they aren't making enough money to be worth it, I'll take them down. Still, any extra cash for my trip will be helpful. I do promise that ads won't be so blended into my blog that my content and paid content are indistinguishable. Let me know if you have any strong feelings about this!

2 comments:

  1. Noooooooooooo!! I hate press release posts with a burning passion ... I always get the same one about 25 times on the day it comes out, then the slower people post it in the next few weeks until I want to scream ... but I have no objection to any ads you may wish to set up :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you when it comes to press releases; I actually like to be sent press releases from the companies so I'm aware of what's to come and can provide that info with my readers if need be, but I don't like to post press releases on my blog. I feel like I see the same one 100 times in a row and I skip over them really quickly.

    As for advertising, I'm against it for my own blog. Even though I'm a stay-at-home mom and can certainly use extra money, I want my blog to be just my blog. It's not a job or place for me to make money. I look at it this way: I have my blog to share my beauty obsession and I don't want my readers to come to my blog and feel like I'm pushing advertisements down their throats or backing a certain company. However, I have no problem with others who have ads on their blog! Most of the time I ignore all ads on blogs, but every now and then one will actually catch my attention and I'll read it, or even click on it. I know by clicking on ads it will make that person money, so sometimes I'll just click on them to be nice lol. I won't lie and say I wasn't tempted at one point to starting including ads, but the amount of money I'd make from it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

    When it comes down to it, this is YOUR blog and you do with it what YOU want. It's nice to ask your readers but in the end you need to think about what will make YOU happiest. If you need to save up some extra cash and you think placing ads on your blog will help you reach that goal, then go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I love reading all of your comments!